All Lessons · 課程總覽 Resources · 教學資源
Tutoring Lesson · Get to Know Taiwan
⛩️

Temples & Traditions

廟宇與傳統

Temples are everyday landmarks in Taiwan, and your student knows them well. In this lesson, you sit back and let them give you a friendly tour of the customs, festivals, and family traditions they grew up with.

⏱ ~60 minutes 🎯 All levels 🔊 Tap to hear any phrase

Before you start tutor prep

開始前 · 給老師的兩分鐘準備

This lesson runs itself — no slides, no printing. Skim it once, then let your student lead. They are the expert today; your job is to listen, ask, and keep them talking. 這堂課會自己跑起來——不用投影片,不用列印。先快速看過一遍,然後讓學生主導。今天他是專家;你的任務是聆聽、提問,讓他一直說下去。

  • Open this page in your browser and share your screen, or just keep it on the side for yourself.在瀏覽器打開這一頁,分享你的螢幕,或自己放在旁邊看也行。
  • Have the student turn on their camera if they're comfortable — gestures help when describing customs.學生若願意就請他開鏡頭——描述習俗時,手勢很有幫助。
  • Tap the 🔊 button next to any word or line to hear clear English pronunciation.點任何字或句子旁的 🔊 按鈕,就能聽到清楚的英語發音。
  • Keep a simple notes area open to jot down new words your student teaches you.開一個簡單的筆記區,把學生教你的新單字隨手記下來。
  • Don't worry if you know nothing about Taiwanese temples — genuine curiosity is the whole point.就算你對台灣的廟宇一無所知也沒關係——真誠的好奇心才是重點。
Mindset: Treat every custom as something worth learning, never something to judge. Describe and ask about practices; stay neutral about beliefs. When your student explains a tradition, your warm "Oh, that's interesting — tell me more" is the best teaching tool you have. 心法:把每個習俗都當成值得學習的事,絕不評判。描述並詢問做法;對信仰保持中立。當學生解釋一個傳統時,你溫暖地說一句「喔,真有趣——再多說一點」,就是你最好的教學工具。

1 · Warm-up 5 min

暖身 · 輕鬆開場

Start gently. These easy questions get your student talking and show you how much English they have today. 輕鬆開始。這些簡單的問題能讓學生開口,也讓你看出他今天的英語程度到哪。

  • Is there a temple near your home? Can you see it from your street?你家附近有廟嗎?從你家那條街看得到嗎?
  • Have you ever been inside a temple? When was the last time?你進過廟裡嗎?上一次是什麼時候?
  • Do you go with your family, or sometimes alone?你都跟家人去,還是有時自己去?
  • Is the temple near you big or small? Quiet or busy?你附近的廟是大還是小?安靜還是熱鬧?
  • What does a temple smell like or sound like to you?對你來說,廟裡聞起來、聽起來是什麼樣子?
Tip: Let small answers grow. If the student just says "Yes, near my home," follow up with "How near? Could you walk there in five minutes?" Keep your own talking short so they get the practice. 小提醒:讓簡短的回答長出來。學生若只說「有,在我家附近」,就追問「多近?走五分鐘到得了嗎?」自己少說一點,讓學生多練習。

2 · Key words & phrases 8 min

關鍵單字與句子 · 點 🔊 帶讀

Read each word together, tap 🔊 to hear it, and have the student say it back and use it in their own sentence. 一起念每個字,點 🔊 聽發音,再請學生跟著念,並用自己的句子造句。

  • temple廟;寺廟 There is a famous temple in the center of my town.
  • incense People light incense and the smell fills the air.
  • to pray祈禱;拜拜 My grandmother goes there to pray every morning.
  • blessing祝福;保佑 We ask for a blessing for health and safety.
  • offering供品 My mother brings fruit as an offering.
  • lantern燈籠 During the festival, red lanterns hang everywhere.
  • fortune運勢;籤 You can draw a paper that tells your fortune.
  • tradition傳統 Visiting the temple at New Year is a family tradition.
  • custom習俗 It is a custom to bow before you enter.
  • festival節慶;廟會 The temple holds a big festival once a year.
  • respect尊敬;敬意 We stay quiet to show respect.
  • make a wish許願 Some people make a wish for a good school year.
Tip: Don't drill all twelve at once. Pick the words your student stumbles on and have them build a real sentence about their own town or family — that's where the language sticks. 小提醒:別一次操練全部十二個。挑學生卡住的字,請他用自己的家鄉或家庭造一個真實的句子——語言就是這樣記住的。

3 · Read & talk 8 min

讀與說 · A 是老師,B 是在地專家

Read this together — you take A (the tutor), the student takes B (the local expert). Then swap roles and read it again. 一起念這段——你念 A(老師),學生念 B(在地專家)。然後交換角色再念一遍。

A

This temple is beautiful. What is that smell?

這座廟好美。那是什麼味道?
B

That is incense. People light it when they come to pray.

那是香。人們來拜拜時會點香。
A

I see fruit on the table. Why is it there?

我看到桌上有水果。為什麼放在那裡?
B

It is an offering. We bring food to show respect.

那是供品。我們帶食物來表示敬意。
A

Can anyone come in, even a visitor like me?

任何人都能進來嗎?像我這樣的訪客也可以?
B

Yes, of course. Just dress nicely and stay quiet inside.

當然可以。只要穿著得體,在裡面保持安靜就好。
A

What are those small papers on the wall?

牆上那些小紙條是什麼?
B

You can draw one to read your fortune. It is a fun custom.

你可以抽一張來看你的運勢。這是個有趣的習俗。
A

That is wonderful. Do you come here often?

真棒。你常來這裡嗎?
B

Mostly at New Year. It is a tradition for my whole family.

大多在過年的時候。這是我們全家的傳統。
Tip: After reading, close the script and ask the student to retell it in their own words: "So, what would you show me first if I visited?" This turns reading into real speaking. 小提醒:念完後,把腳本收起來,請學生用自己的話重述:「那如果我來拜訪,你會先帶我看什麼?」這能把閱讀變成真正的口說。

4 · Let's talk 12 min

換你說 · 依程度選題,讓學生主導

Pick questions that match your student's level. Stay on each one as long as they're talking. 挑選符合學生程度的問題。只要他還在說,就停在同一題上。

BEGINNER 初級
  • What is the name of a temple you know?你知道哪一間廟的名字?
  • Who do you go with — family or friends?你都跟誰去——家人還是朋友?
  • What can you see inside a temple?廟裡你能看到什麼?
  • Do you like going? Why or why not?你喜歡去嗎?為什麼喜歡或不喜歡?
INTERMEDIATE 中級
  • What do people usually do when they visit a temple?人們去廟裡通常都做些什麼?
  • Is there a custom you always follow with your family?有沒有一個你和家人總會遵守的習俗?
  • What is your favorite festival, and what happens during it?你最喜歡的節慶是哪個?那時候會發生什麼?
  • How do you feel when you walk into a temple?你走進廟裡時有什麼感覺?
ADVANCED 進階
  • How would you describe the role of temples in everyday life in your town?你會怎麼形容廟宇在你家鄉日常生活中的角色?
  • Which family tradition means the most to you, and why?哪一個家庭傳統對你意義最大?為什麼?
  • If a friend from abroad asked, how would you explain why people make offerings?如果一位外國朋友問起,你會怎麼解釋人們為什麼要準備供品?
  • Are there customs you keep even if you're not sure where they came from?有沒有一些習俗,即使你不確定它的由來,你還是會遵守?
Tip: Echo back the student's own words with small upgrades. If they say "We go temple New Year," you reply "Ah, you go to the temple at New Year — nice." They hear the correct form without being interrupted. 小提醒:把學生的話複述回去,順手做點小升級。他說「We go temple New Year」,你就回「Ah, you go to the temple at New Year — nice.」這樣他能聽到正確說法,又不被打斷。

5 · Going deeper 10 min

再深入一點 · 解釋與比較

Now stretch the student into explaining and comparing. These invite longer, more thoughtful answers. 現在引導學生去解釋和比較。這些問題能帶出更長、更有想法的回答。

BEGINNER 初級
  • Teach me one easy temple custom. What do I do first?教我一個簡單的廟宇習俗。我要先做什麼?
  • What is one tradition your family does every year?你們家每年都會做的一個傳統是什麼?
  • Is anything different now from when you were small?現在有什麼跟你小時候不一樣了嗎?
INTERMEDIATE 中級
  • Imagine I'm visiting Taiwan. How would you explain one tradition to me?想像我來台灣玩。你會怎麼向我解釋一個傳統?
  • Why do you think these traditions are important to people?你覺得這些傳統為什麼對人們很重要?
  • Have any customs changed because of phones or busy lives?有沒有哪些習俗因為手機或忙碌的生活而改變了?
ADVANCED 進階
  • How do you think customs change as a country grows more modern?你覺得一個國家越來越現代化時,習俗會怎麼改變?
  • What is gained, and what might be lost, when traditions fade?當傳統逐漸消失時,我們得到了什麼,又可能失去什麼?
  • Do you think you'll pass these traditions on one day? How?你覺得有一天你會把這些傳統傳下去嗎?怎麼傳?
Tip: "Why do you think...?" questions are gold for speaking practice. Give the student silent thinking time — a few seconds of quiet is fine, and they'll usually produce a much fuller answer. 小提醒:「你覺得為什麼……?」這類問題是口說練習的黃金。給學生安靜思考的時間——沉默幾秒沒關係,他通常會給出更完整的回答。

6 · Activity — explain a custom 10 min

活動 · 解釋一個習俗

The student becomes the teacher. They pick one custom or tradition and walk you through it step by step while you play the curious newcomer. 換學生當老師。他選一個習俗或傳統,一步步帶你走過一遍,而你扮演好奇的新手。

  1. The student chooses one custom (visiting a temple, a New Year tradition, a festival, lighting incense).學生選一個習俗(拜廟、過年傳統、節慶、點香)。
  2. They explain it to you slowly, step by step, as if you've never seen it.他慢慢地、一步步向你解釋,當作你從沒見過。
  3. You ask at least three real questions: "What do I do first? Why this? What happens next?"你至少問三個真實的問題:「我要先做什麼?為什麼要這樣?接下來呢?」
  4. At the end, you retell the custom back to them — and they correct any mistakes.最後,你把這個習俗重述給他聽——他來糾正任何錯誤。
  5. Swap topics and do a quick second round if time allows.如果時間允許,換個主題快速再做一輪。

First, you should ___ before you go inside.

People do this because ___.

After that, the next step is ___.

The most important part is ___, so don't forget it.

One thing visitors often get wrong is ___.

Tip: Stay in character as the friendly newcomer. Your slightly clueless questions force the student to explain clearly and in order — exactly the skill that builds confident speaking. 小提醒:保持「友善新手」的角色。你那些有點搞不清楚狀況的問題,會逼學生講得清楚又有條理——這正是建立自信口說的關鍵能力。

7 · Wrap-up 5 min

收尾 · 在高點結束

Close warmly and leave the student feeling they taught you something real. 溫暖地收尾,讓學生覺得他真的教了你一些東西。

  • Ask the student: "What is one thing you taught me today?"問學生:「今天你教了我哪一件事?」
  • Share two or three new words they used well — say them out loud together once more.分享兩三個他用得很好的新單字——再一起大聲念一遍。
  • Gently note one phrase to polish, with the corrected version.溫和地指出一句可以修飾的話,並給出正確的版本。
  • Give a small take-home: "Next time, tell me about one festival you love."給一個小小的回家功課:「下次告訴我一個你喜歡的節慶。」
  • Thank them sincerely for being your guide to Taiwanese customs.真誠地謝謝他當你認識台灣習俗的嚮導。
Tip: End on their strength, not their errors. "You explained that custom so clearly — I really understood it" sends the student off motivated for the next lesson. 小提醒:用學生的強項而非錯誤來結束。「你把那個習俗解釋得好清楚——我真的懂了」,會讓學生帶著動力期待下一堂課。

🧭 Tutor notes

老師筆記 · 依程度引導

Quick reminders for steering the lesson by level, so everyone leaves having spoken a lot. 依程度引導課程的快速提醒,讓每個人下課時都說了很多話。

BEGINNER 初級
  • Keep your questions short and one idea at a time.問題保持簡短,一次只問一個概念。
  • Accept single words and help build them into full sentences.接受單字,並幫他組成完整的句子。
  • Use the 🔊 buttons often so they hear models before speaking.多用 🔊 按鈕,讓他在開口前先聽到示範。
INTERMEDIATE 中級
  • Push for reasons: "Why?" and "Can you give an example?"追問理由:「為什麼?」「能舉個例子嗎?」
  • Recast errors gently instead of stopping the flow.溫和地重述正確說法,而不是打斷他的節奏。
  • Let the student carry most of the talking time.讓學生佔去大部分的說話時間。
ADVANCED 進階
  • Ask them to compare, predict, and reflect, not just describe.請他比較、預測、反思,而不只是描述。
  • Introduce a few richer words and have them reuse them.介紹幾個更豐富的字,並讓他再次使用。
  • Challenge them to explain a custom to an imaginary newcomer.挑戰他向一位想像中的新手解釋一個習俗。
Most important: The student is the expert on their own culture today. Stay curious, stay respectful, and keep beliefs neutral — your warmth and good questions matter far more than getting every fact right. 最重要:今天學生才是他自己文化的專家。保持好奇、保持尊重,對信仰保持中立——你的溫暖和好問題,遠比把每個細節都答對來得重要。